What is Poison Ivy Rash

Poison Ivy Rash is a rash caused by irritants found on the leaves of the poison ivy plant.Poison ivy rash  is not contagious.  When one touch poison ivy leaves, a substance on the leaf surface (resin) blends with the skin causing a skin irritation called allergic contact dermatitis. Once a person gets poison ivy rash,over the  next 2 to 3 days infected skin reacts to the resin to form red bumps and blisters  on and around the place where the resin was.  It can be very annoying and uncomfortable, especially for children, but they eventually disappear, but it could take weeks.  Sometimes, prescription creams or medications given to solve quickly.Learn more about poison ivy rash in this article called what is poison ivy rash.

what is poison ivy rashWhat is Poison Ivy Rash:

Poison Ivy rash is caused when a person comes in contact with the poison ivy leaves, there are resins on the leaves that cause irritation and rash on the skin. The fluid in the blisters is not contagious and would not cause poison ivy rash if another child touches it.  The “extension” of Poison Ivy in a person varies due to various factors.. Often, people do not know they have come in contact with poison ivy aand can  spread  the resin to other parts of the body with infected hands or clothes , until infected individual washs his/her hands or taking a bath, the resin would continue to be present on the contact area.  Since the outbreak does not occur until two or three days later may appear as successive crops of blisters formed over one or two days, due to exposure to toxic resin Sumac.

Poison Ivy Treatment

Skin infected with poison ivy should be immediately washed with cold water to reduce the severity of the rash and prevent the spread of  resin other parts of the body.  Unfortunately, the skin absorbs the active compounds in the poison ivy sap in the first three minutes, and one can not prevent dermatitis without medical treatment.

The rash severity can be reduced with  soap and water, which is more effective than just using water to remove the  the sap,  Once you come in contact with the poison ivy sap, you must have a thorough wash , ensuring that you wash all exposed parts of the body with soap and water.  The poison ivy sap can get under one’s nails, it is important to wash these areas.  Soap also temporarily removes the natural protective coatings that helps keep the active ingredients from being absorbed through the skin. If the poison ivy resin is found on clothing, it is best to destroy those clothes, as the resin can remain in  the clothes  re-infecting of the victim or others. Antihistamines, first-aid creams and boric acid solution or calamine lotion are commonly used to relieve itching.  A tincture (alcoholic extract), marigold is also said to relieve itching.  If you come in contact with the poison ivy leaves in the  the forest, you can crush the leaves of the spotted touch me not and immediately rub these leaves on the affected area  to reduce the reaction.

A pharmacist can advise on how one can relieve some symptoms.  The application of cold compresses and moist with tap water for 20 to 30 minutes every few hours till the blisters dry up and eliminate itching.  Oatmeal baths and calamine lotion have a cooling effect, and can help relieve symptoms. Avoid scratching the rash to prevent infection.

It’s a good idea to consult a doctor immediately in case you come in contact with the poison ivy leaves or resin.

Posted in Diseases, Health Care Tagged with: ,