Ischemic heart disease is a condition caused by the reduction in blood supply to the heart muscles, ischemic heart disease is one of the leading causes of death around the world. Some of the most common signs of ischemic heart disease is chest pains and discomfort due to the lack of blood reaching the heart muscles. Learn more about the symptoms and treatment of ischemic heart disease here.
Symptoms and treatment of ischemic heart disease.
Causes of Ischemic heart disease
Ischemic heart disease is usually caused when the heart does not get sufficient supply causing damage to the heart muscles. The common causes of ischemic heart disease is due to buildup of cholesterol in the blood vessels or arteries that supply blood to the heart making the arteries narrow and causing a lack of oxygen in the heart muscles.
Symptoms of ischemic heart disease
The ischemic heart disease symptoms are very gradual and will start showing up as plaque (cholesterol) starts to build up in the arteries blocking these arteries and restricting the flow of blood to the heart. Symptoms of ischemic heart disease may vary from patient to patients with some patients of ischemic heart disease showing signs like chest pains and breathlessness.
• The most common of ischemic heart disease symptoms is chest pain or angina. Patients of ischemic heart disease experience chest pain or angina as a discomfort or tightness of the chest, neck, jaws and shoulders. While chest pains can be also caused due to heart burn or anxiety and panic chest pains in ischemic heart patients can be an indicator of a heart attack.
• Other symptoms of ischemic heart disease also include increased breathlessness, difficulty in sleeping or orthopnea. Orthopnea is a common symptom of lung disease like bronchitis or asthma, however it is also a very strong sign of heart disease like ischemic heart disease.
• Peripheral oedema or the build-up of fluids in the body especially the limbs is another symptom of ischemic heart disease. Peripheral oedema is caused due to the lack of proper blood supply in the body . This condition can also be caused due to kidney problems or pregnancy in women.
• Another symptom of ischemic heart disease is the enlargement of the heart or cardiomegaly. Cardiomegaly is a thickening of the heart muscles due to which the heart cannot pump blood effectively. Thickening of the heart muscles can be caused by viral infections or heart conditions like heart failure, genetic disorders or even smoking and obesity.
Treatment of ischemic heart disease
Ischemic heart disease can be treated once a physician has done the right diagnosis of ischemic heart disease. Treatment of ischemic heart disease includes administration of drugs or in severe cases surgery.
Medication for ischemic heart disease patients
Patients suffering from ischemic heart disease are treated with the flowing drugs.
• ACE inhibitors used to lower blood pressure and relax arteries
• ARB (Angiotensin) receptor blockers) for lowering blood pressure.
• Antiplatelet drugs to prevent blood clots.
• Beta-blockers to lower heart rate in case of palpitation.
• Calcium channel blockers, Nitrates, Statins, Anti-ischemic agents
Surgery for ischemic heart patients
In case of chronic ischemic heart disease doctors may have to perform a operation. The surgeries used to cure ischemic heart disease are:
• Angioplasty & stent placement: treatment of the clogged arteries by removing plaque to restore blood circulation.
• Coronary artery bypass graft a procedure to restore blood flow through a artery transplant.
Prevention of ischemic heart disease
Prevention of ischemic heart disease includes adhering to ischemic heart guidelines. This includes
• Daily exercise
• Controlling cholesterol levels
• Controlling blood pressure
• Avoiding alcohol and tobacco
• Reduce intake of sodium and following a low carb and low fat diet.