Poison Ivy Rash Symptoms and Treatment

Poison ivy rash is caused by the toxic resin secreted by plants like the poison ivy oak and poison ivy sumac. Poison Ivy Rash is a rash caused by irritants found on the leaves of the poison ivy plant. When one touch poison ivy leaves, a resin on the leaf surface comes in contact with the skin causing a skin irritation called allergic contact dermatitis. Once a person gets poison ivy rash, over the next 2 to 3 days the infected skin reacts to the resin to form red bumps and blisters on and around the place where the resin was. It can be uncomfortable, especially for children, while the rash eventually disappears it could take weeks.  Prescription creams or medications given ease the symptoms of poison ivy rash. Learn more about poison ivy rash symptoms and treatment in this article.

Poison Ivy Symptoms and Treatment

poison ivy symptoms and treatmentThe Poison Ivy, Poison Ivy oak and  poison ivy Sumac contains a poisonous lacquer like resin or oily sap that contains four antigenic compounds (catechins), including one called urushiol, an irritatant, which is able to cause  an  allergic reaction in about 70% of the people who come in contact with it.  This leads to a chemical hypersensitivity reaction first time that the contact actually occurs.  It causes a rash that from itchy watery blisters inflammation.

The Poison Ivy  sap is found  in the roots, stems, leaves, flowers, pollen and fruit. The toxic sap is released if the surface is lightly touched.  It is easier to be infected with poison ivy rash called Rhus dermatitis in the spring and early summer .

The Poison Ivy sap is deposited on the skin by direct contact with  the leaves or stem.  The resin or oil can also be deposited  on anything that has touched the plant, including shoes, bicycles, clothing, gardening tools, sports equipment and even animal hair.  The oil can be active on these objects for several months.

Clothes  should be thoroughly e cleaned by washing in a washing machine in warm water with soap or detergent.  The infected skin should be cleaned immediately to prevent Rhus dermatitis ,washing with water  ishelpful because it reduces the severity of the rash and also prevents the spread of sap to other parts of the body.

In hot and humid conditions of the toxic sap becomes inert within a week.  However, under cool conditions, the plant can maintain its potent effect for a long time.

Not all people are sensitive to poison ivy.  Some people, , have no reaction when they first come in contact with the plant.  No one is completely immune to the poisonous sap and therefore often develop sensitivity after a series of exhibitions.  Some people are sensitive to small amounts of poison, while others react only in large quantities.  Usually, children develop allergic reactions after two or more exposures.  It is possible to “grow out” of the sensitivity over time and with more contact with the plant.  As mentioned earlier, the toxin in the sap becomes inert in heat and humidity, so that the greatest danger of poison ivy rash lies in cool and dry conditions.

Symptoms of poisoning and treatment:

The first symptom of poison ivy rash is a slight redness and severe itching developing into a red and swollen, blistered skin.  Often blisters are seen in the lines indicates the point of contact with the plant.

Severe cases of poison ivy rash especially those covering large areas or accompanied by headache and fever, or if sensitive parts of the body such as the eyelids are infected should be examined by a doctor immediately.  Medical treatment is most effective if applied before the oozing sores appear.

Treatment of Poison Ivy Rash

There is no vaccination that is available specifically for poison ivy rash..  The interval between exposure and onset of Rhus dermatitis varies because of the sensitivity of individuals and the amount of liquid toxic by skin contact.  The first time someone is exposed to poison ivy it may take a week for the rash to erupt, however subsequent exposures can cause rash to appear in 12 to 48 hours.  The healing time for poison ivy rash varies from several days to several weeks and the affected  areas often remain hypersensitive to any further contact with the juice for several months.

Skin infected with poison ivy should be immediately washed with cold water to reduce the severity of the rash and prevent the spread of resin other parts of the body. The rash severity can be reduced with soap and water,  Once you come in contact with the poison ivy sap, you must have a thorough wash , ensuring that you wash all exposed parts of the body with soap and water. The poison ivy sap can get under one’s nails, it is important to wash these areas. If the poison ivy resin is found on clothing, it is best to destroy those clothes, as the resin can remain in the clothes re-infecting of the victim or others. Antihistamines, first-aid creams and boric acid solution or calamine lotion are commonly used to relieve itching. A tincture (alcoholic extract), marigold is also said to relieve itching. If you come in contact with the poison ivy leaves in the the forest, you can crush the leaves of the spotted touch me not and immediately rub these leaves on the affected area to reduce the reaction

Posted in Diseases, Health Care Tagged with: ,