Unlike other animals cats have the abilities to groom themselves, Cats use their tongue, teeth and claws to groom themselves. However a cat still needs help in grooming as there are parts of the cat that it cannot reach and would need help in grooming. Here we would be helping you with tips on how to groom a cat, and techniques to groom a cat.
How to groom a cat
While grooming a cat one must keep in mind that there are three parts to grooming a cat, clipping cats claws, bathing a cat and brushing a cats coat.
Tips on grooming a cat
Brushing a cats coat.
If you own a cat it is recommended that you brush your cats coat on a daily basis. Cats have a tendency to roll in dirt due to which they pick up burrs, ticks and mites. Regular brushing of a cats coat will ensure that your cat remains free of all these.
Tips on how to brush a cats coat.
1. Use a bristle brush or a metal comb to brush your cats fur.
2. Start brushing your cats fur from the head moving to the tail.
3. Gently untangle any knots or tangles that are there on the cats fur.
4. If the cat is furry make a parting down the middle of the tail and gently brush the fur.
5. While brushing the cats fur use upward motions to brush the fur.
Regular brushing will keep your cats fur in good condition, especially if you have a cat with long hair.
Bathing a cat
While cats do not require regular baths like dogs do , your cat may need a bath if it has been in something dirty or if the cats coat has become oily. Always remember while bathing a cat you should use a vet shampoo only.
Tips on how to bathe a cat
1. Before bathing a cat always brush it to get rid of any loose or dead hair.
2. Fill your tub with a few inches of water and place your cat in the tub.
3. Using a tumbler to wet your cat, and then gently rub shampoo over it.
4. Using a tumbler rinse all the shampoo out of the cats fur.
5. Dry the cat with a towel
While bathing a cat always ensure that you avoid getting water in the ears, if you want you can put cotton balls in the ears while bathing a cat.
Clipping a cats claws
You should regularly clip your cat’s claws; Always clip your cats claws after bathing your cat. This ensures that the claws are easier to clip. Clipping your cats claws also ensure that your cat does not shred your furniture and drapes.
Tips on how to clip cat’s claws
1. Take your cat’s paw in your hand and gently press on the soft pad, This will cause the cat to extend its claws.
2. Take a pair of nail scissors and clip the white part of the nail, ensure that you do not clip too near the pad.
3. The cat’s claw has a vein in it, avoid clipping near the vein, just clip the tips of the claws.
You should clip your cat’s claws on a regular basis.
You can follow these simple steps to grooming your cat at home.