Constipation in dogs
Similar to constipation in humans, constipation in dogs are also quite common. Many pet owners are not concerned much about constipation. Even though it is not a serious condition, when it is left untreated, it might develop into a complicated health condition in dogs. Is it possible to cure constipation in dogs? Many researches and reports on constipation in dogs states that, in most cases, the condition can be treated merely by attentive care and lifestyle changes.
Most of the pet owners are not able to realise or recognize the constipation in dogs, when the dogs spend most of the time outdoors. So, it is important to have an eye on the activities of the dog as well as the health. Ensure to pay close attention to any changes in attitude and behaviour, which might turn to result in constipation in dogs. Constipation makes the dogs very uncomfortable, which is the apparent sign. Early detection of symptoms helps in quick recovery. Surprisingly, most of the dogs are intelligent enough to inform their owners with visible signs of changes.
Causes of constipation in dogs:
There are many causes that lead towards constipation in dogs. Some of the major causes of constipation in dogs include the following:
- Consuming indigestible objects
- Food that are poor in quality
- Food with heavy preservatives and artificial colours
- Stress – similar to humans
- Less quantity of fiber foods or absence of fiber foods in the regular diet
Symptoms of constipation in dogs:
There are five major and apparent symptoms of constipation in dogs as under:
- Problems with bowel movements – this is first apparent sign of constipation in dogs. Constipated dogs generally strain before moving to bathroom. This is most painful symptom, which is quite evident to take your dog to a veterinarian.
- Improper bowel conditions – dogs are not able to make any normal movements
- Refuse to take food – Generally constipation in dogs result in bloated stomach and the dogs feel heavy on stomach. Eventually, they refuse to take food. However, many of the pet owners wrongly interpret this behaviour of dogs.
- Difficulty in making normal movements and walking
- Reduced physical activities
Treatment of constipation in dogs:
Generally treatment options focus on changing the lifestyle habits including the dietary changes. The basic cause and the underlying symptoms are assessed to provide appropriate medication. There are few drugs prescribed to eliminate the condition. In case of severe constipation, veterinarian suggests urine and blood analysis. In severe cases, surgery is recommended to alleviate the condition.
Home remedies for treating constipation in dogs:
Apart from getting treated by veterinarian, there are numerous home remedies available for curing the condition.
- Feed pumpkin to the constipated dogs – it is one of the vet recommended effective home remedy to alleviate the condition.
- Canned dog foods – When your dogs refuse to eat due to constipation, you can prefer feeding canned dog foods, which are rich in fiber assist in regulating the normal bowel movements.
- Fiber supplements – There are not many fiber supplements available in the market. However, it is better to choose herbal fiber supplement in powdered form
- Herbal remedies – There are numerous natural and herbal products available to cure the constipation in dogs. For instance, ginger is a good choice, which can be given in powdered form