What is Chronic kidney disease in dogs
Chronic kidney disease in dogs refers to the kidney disease present in dogs for several months to several years. It is shortly termed as CKD in dogs. However, Chronic kidney disease in dogs is not just a single disease and it is accompanied by several diseases and health conditions. Chronic renal failure, chronic renal insufficiency or chronic renal disease also referred as chronic kidney disease. The condition can be developed due to several reasons. However, the causes of chronic kidney disease in dogs are likely to disappear when the signs of the chronic kidney disease in dogs are apparent. chronic kidney disease in dogs are closely associated with nephron damages, which is an irreversible condition.
Causes of chronic kidney disease in dogs:
In most of the cases, as mentioned above, the causes are not apparent. Fortunately, there are few possible conditions that can lead towards causing chronic kidney disease in dogs, which includes the following:
• Birth Defects or genital factors in dogs – congenital irregularity of the kidneys
• Pyelonephritis – Refers to the chronic bacterial infection in the kidneys, which can be developed with or without stones in kidney.
• Hypertension, which is nothing but the high blood pressure in dogs. Not only humans are suffering from high blood pressure, it is found even in dogs.
• Any diseases in the immune system obviously turn towards causing chronic kidney failure in dogs. For instance, systemic lupus, glomerulonephritis
• Acute kidney disease
Symptoms of chronic kidney disease in dogs:
Kidney performs many functions and therefore the symptoms of chronic kidney disease in dogs are wider. The sings are very mild in some and dogs, where it might be too severe in others. Milder signs of chronic kidney disease in dogs are very subtle and develop into severe symptoms very slowly. However, there are few rapid and apparent symptoms of chronic kidney failure in dogs. The common symptoms of chronic kidney disease in dogs include the following:
• Frequent thirst and drinking too much
• Frequent urination and discharging large quantity of urine than normal
• Urine leakage during sleep
• Loss of weight and loss of appetite
• General weakness followed by loss of energy
In some cases, there are few symptoms of chronic kidney disease in dogs that are quite uncommon and include the following:
• Fractures and cracks in bones due to weakened bones
• If the condition is caused due to hypertension, it can lead towards blindness
• Itchy skin
Treatment of chronic kidney disease in dogs:
Chronic kidney disease in dogs is not actually a disease to be treated. Rather, it is the health ailment caused due to improper functioning of kidney or kidney failure. Further, treatment of chronic kidney disease in dogs is offered to eliminate the symptoms of the condition. When the symptoms are quite severe and uncommon, your dog needs to be hospitalized for fluid therapy. In case of kidney failure, kidney transplantation might be required. For other dogs with mild symptoms without showing any complicated signs, a variety of treatment option is available. The treatment is focused on reducing the work that the kidneys are supposed to do and improving the kidney health.
Diet for chronic kidney disease in dogs:
In addition to treatment, dietary changes are recommended by veterinarians. Generally, high protein diet is recommended, because higher amount of high quality protein in the diet reduces the waste that are to be removed by kidneys, which result in reducing the kidney’s work.