In our lives today, the dog is as important as any other member in our family. If your dog is sick, you would ensure his proper treatment and cure. To recover from a certain surgery or sickness (like fractures, joint pulls, post surgery recovery etc.), one can opt to enrol the dog into canine physical rehabilitation. The main goal of canine physical rehabilitation is to restore the quality of life of dogs. It is also very effective in relieving dogs from pain due to dysfunction of mobility of joints and muscles. Canine physical rehabilitation can help reduce pain, help recovery from surgery, injury, degenerative diseases etc. Though this physical therapy is geared for the treatment of dogs, it can be applied to animals like horses, cats, birds, rabbits and rodents.
Canine Physical Rehabilitation methods
There are several methods and techniques involved in canine physical therapy. Some of them are:
• Hydrotherapy- It works on the principle of buoyancy combined with resistance offered by the water. It places slight pressure on the dog’s/puppy’s joints that provides an opportunity to strengthen muscles. The warm water also allows your pet to stretch more offering more flexibility and relaxation of muscles in the water.
• Massage- Massages have the same effects on animals as they have on humans. A massage promotes muscle development and relaxes the too. The circular movement of the hands increases blood flow to that part of the body. Massage is an effective cure for canines.
• Therapeutic Ultrasound- Thermal effects of therapeutic ultrasound can help can prove very effective in treating soft tissue damage. It also increases circulation, inhibits inflammation of damaged tissue and increases muscle flexibility.
• Exercises- In this treatment, dogs are made to do certain prescribed exercises that help in the healing process. There are different types of these exercises like balance exercises, co ordination exercises and strengthening exercises.
• Heat and Cold Therapy- This is used to relax muscles or reduce inflammation/swelling on different parts of a dog’s body. Applying heat to the affected area can also increase flexibility and increase circulation.
From the above therapies and treatments a dog achieves several benefits along with being able to function normally. These treatments help the dog in decreasing pain, soreness and stiffness, restoring muscle tone, increasing muscle flexibility, recovery from injuries etc. Canine physical therapy has been designed to relieve dogs of their pain. It is very similar to physical therapy incorporated in the case of humans. Canine Companions for Independence is one of the many organizations that deals with canine physical therapy. This therapy for dogs is as important as it is for humans.